Precis writing on writer's life as flatterer. Poverty begets dependence, and I was admitted as a flatterer to a..........

PRECIS

    Poverty begets dependence, and I was admitted as a flatterer to a great man. At first I was surprised that the situation of a flatterer at a great man's table could be thought disagreeable; there was no great trouble in listening attentively when his lordship spoke, and laughing when he looked round for applause. This even good manners might have obliged me to perform. I found. however, too soon that his lordship was a greater dunce than myself, and from that very moment flattery was at an end. I now rather aimed at setting him right than at receiving his absurdities with submission; to flatter those we do not know is an easy task, but to flatter our intimate acquaintances all whose foibles are in our eyes, is drudgery insupportable. Every time I now opened my lips in praise, my falsehood went to my conscience; his lordship soon found me to be very unfit for service. I was, therefore, discharged.


  Answer:-  

The writer's life as a flatterer to a Lord

   When the writer fell into poverty, he became a flatterer to a Lord. At first, there seemed to be nothing disagreeable in humoring a great man in his talks. But soon the writer realized that his master was a greater fool than he. From then on flattery to such a person began to prick his conscience. His master soon found him unfit for service and discharged him.

Post a Comment

0 Comments